Sunday, December 13, 2009

I Did It!

I got up a little after 3:00 this morning after a restless night. Must have been too keyed up about the marathon. As planned I ate a banana and part of a Clif Bar for breakfast, got ready and did my stretches. Dennis, Kay’s brother, came a little before 4:00 to drive us to Honolulu. He spent all morning with Kay driving to various spots where both took photos of my run.

The marathon started on time at 5:00 with fireworks over the Honolulu harbor. I ran the course pretty much as planned, sticking to a 11 to 12 minute mile pace at first and downing six gel packs, one for every 4 miles. Although I skipped the first water station, I walked through and hydrated myself at every one after that. The stations offered cups of Gatorade and ice water, and wet sponges. Some even had ice cubes available from large plastic bags. The water stations were well spaced, just a few for the first half of the course and then much more the second half about a mile and a half to two miles apart. After a few stations, I got the hang of it first picking up a cup of Gatorade, then some water, ditching the Gatorade cup and picking up a sponge to cool off.

I sort of hit the “wall” again around the 19 to 20 mile mark. My left leg just did not want to move. I think it was my knee. Having experienced a similar “wall” encounter before, I nursed the rest of the run and finished by walking and jogging slowly.

I’m now the proud owner of a “fire engine” yellow T-shirt which I can use running early in the mornings. They’ll see me coming from a mile away.



We all received finisher medallions which I plan to use as a Christmas tree ornament.


Some final questions: Did I have fun today? Yes, although my legs are still sore from being on the road for 5 hours and 41+ minutes. Will I be doing this next year again? It depends if I can convince my “Run Day” logistics support to get up early again.

I just wanted to let you all know that during the run I often thought about all the best wishes I had received. They kept me motivated and focused throughout my marathon run. Kay asked if there was ever a time I felt I could not make it. Told her not really. With all the training I had done, I was confident I could finish. I had a lot of folks supporting me too, and there was no way I could not finish what I had started over four months ago.

This will be my last post. I have enjoyed having you all be part of my marathon experience and appreciated your kind words of support. Thank you all and have a wonderful holiday.

19 comments:

RONW said...

until next year, then.

Dina said...

God bless you, Art, and your indomitable spirit! You did it!
What an accomplishment. What a feeling it must be.
You are such an inspiration for us all. You are a Finisher, but first you had to be a starter.

But please don't stop your blog. There are plenty of other things in your life and in your big heart that would make good reading and viewing.

Get a big rest down.
Mazal tov!!!

quilly said...

Congratulations, Art. Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

Since you didn't mention it, I assume you did not use the potties? Did you bring TP?

Congrats on finishing, Art. David and I admire you for accomplishing something we could never do due to various ailments.

It's too bad you have stopped this particular blog, but surely, you will start a new one??? I hope so! I enjoy your writing.

Peggy said...

Awe Art, I will miss you blogging!
But like RONW said "until next year, then"
Congratulations on being a finisher ! We always knew you could do it!
Now does this mean that Jon has to run a marathon when he is retired?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That must be quite a relief. No more wondering if you can make it.

Are you sure you don't want to keep blogging about running? You know those categories go all the way up to 85-89!

You have a lot more running to do.
Keep it up.
You did it! - now get some rest! Today is the first day of training for next years marathon.

Cheryl said...

Congratulations Art on your accomplishment! You are certainly an inspiration. I have enjoyed following your progress. Wear your shirt proudly! Take care.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

are you going to continue running?

wenn said...

congrats. merry xmas!

Mare said...

Congrats, Art! What an accomplishment! You planned it, you trained for it, and you did it. You are a star, with a wonderful person as a wife encouraging you along the way.

short poems said...

Congratulations, Art :)

Cloudia said...

Art- You ROCK!



Aloha from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>

><}}(°>

Short Poems said...

Congratulations Art on your accomplishment!

Short Poems

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I came to your page via Kay's profile. Anyway, that medal you should be proud of.. I've been to Honolulu more than a dozen times.. you definitely have a great place to train- especially the hiking trails. Love the local Hawaii Kai trail that shows the west side of the island..

troutbirder said...

Congratulation Art. At 65 it's quite a first time accomplishment. Now at 70 maybe I......

Rhapsody Phoenix said...

Congratulations! May the next one be just as joyful.

peace.
rhapsody
http://twitter.com/rhapsodyphoenix

Unknown said...

Hi Kay,

KFC STYLE CHICKEN:

the w/meal flour is plain wholemeal flour. You can use plain white flour, or even a gluten free flour. I use wholemeal because it's healthier - not as processed. The original recipe used plain flour. Hope this clears things up :)

Tracey.

Ruprekha said...

Congratulations!
Sometimes one has a wonderful experience, a great feeling by completing a task. I guess this is certainly one such task.

Peter parker said...

Cash App customer support 18887106909 Cash App support number

Why Contact Cash App 24/7 Support Number Being a part of Yahoo and AT&T services it offers a easy handling mailing option but there are also many customer carenical glitches occurs with users that you may face as well. For these issues you can contact customer cranial support to get help and you can find plenty of them in the internet. Cash App Support number is available 24x7 so that you can contact them according to your convenience.
More info click here: https://www.cryptophonesupport.com/cash-app/