Friday, December 11, 2009

A Run, Not a Race

I have learned that training for the marathon is a combination of getting physically fit and mentally prepared. My physical training was pretty much over when I completed the 20 miler last month and spent the past weeks tapering off my mileage. I ran an easy 2 miler this morning and will rest on Saturday. I have also decided it will be a 26.2 mile run and not a race. I’m planning to enjoy the outing and finish running.

Another important part to a marathon is the support one gets. All of those who have read and commented on this blog have really been great for my psyche. Kay and her brother, Dennis, will make the ultimate sacrifice by getting up very early to drive me in. Dennis will be coming by tomorrow to plan for Sunday. We’re trying to convince him to take our Prius but he’s a bit nervous about driving it. Maybe he can drive it tomorrow and get comfortable on the road. We plan to drive the marathon course so they can scope out areas to watch and I can get a feel what I’m in for.

As Kay’s Musings noted, we picked up my bib and timing chip at the Honolulu Marathon Expo on Wednesday. There were a lot of runners from Japan picking up packets too. Since more than half of the runners are supposed to be from Japan, all signs and information were bilingual and most of the vendors catered to them. I stopped by the Maui Marathon booth where the lady encouraged me to signup for their race next fall. After explaining this was my first and I was not sure I’d do another, she still insisted I consider running on Maui where the scenery is much better than Oahu. I asked her for a brochure but to my surprise she had only Japanese language ones, none in English. Oh well, I was more successful at the Lava booth where they sold locally made gels. Got Tropical Mango and Kona Mocha (with caffeine). I tried them on a couple of runs and had no problems. I’ll be taking Gu and Lava gels for my run.

I’m feeling great and the weather forecast for Sunday is nice, partly cloudy in the low 80’s. I’ll check back in on Sunday after my run.

8 comments:

Dina said...

Art, you sound READY!
Go man go!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are organized, energized, and psyched up for the marathon. Who knows, maybe it will be so much fun, you'll sign up for the Maui marathon, after all.

And after that, the Boston marathon, then the New York marathon -- soon branching out internationally. LOL.

Good luck!

Kay said...

Ummmm.... Gigi? Let's not give him any more ideas please...

RONW said...

best wishes. Even from a spectator's perspective, 26.2 miles ain't a walk in the park.

Cheryl said...

Wishing you the best of luck for your run. Will be anxious to see how you did.

Peggy said...

You do sound ready, mentally and phyically.
I've felt like I have been on this adventure with you, (Ok, well you have done the heavy lifting part)but I've enjoyed our journey together.
looking forward to your report and pictures after the race!
Good luck!!!!

Tif said...

Good luck tomorrow Dad!

Anonymous said...

I come from Susans place. I hope you did well in the Marathon today. I had to work but did get to see some of the runners. It was awesome as usual :) Traffic wasn't even as bad as previous years :)