Saturday, October 10, 2009

10 Mile Saturday

It is Saturday so it must be another long day. I did 10.70 miles this morning in 2:04.16.

I tried eating small amounts of a Clif Bar while walking and running. I made sure to drink water to down it afterwards. To my surprise, I had no problem. As a precaution, however, I did carry some TP.

I have been working on slowing my pace for the first part of the race in order to conserve energy for the more difficult second half. I find myself having to check Garmin often to make sure I maintained my pace. I have to practice running slower which will be especially difficult during race day. There will be lots of adrenalin flowing and other faster runners tempting me to run too fast at the beginning. I have been warned running too fast at the start is a common mistake for first time marathoners.

5 comments:

gigi-hawaii said...

what is TP?
you seem to know what to expect. I was a bystander at Kapiolani Park during 2 marathons. Oh, the excitement seeing the runners finish -- the absolute joy on their faces not to mention relief. Kay will need to be there to give you water while you lie collapsed on the grass.

gigi-hawaii said...

the post-marathon ceremony is also fun to watch. Tell Kay to bring a picnic basket so you can have something to munch on during the ceremony.

You might win your age division! I hope so!

Peggy said...

Art;

I am learning so much from your blog, I never realized how many different variables go into training for a big marathon.
Even training yourself to slow down.
I'm sure Kay will be at the end as proud as can be!

Kay said...

I thought you might title this Eat and Running.

Dina said...

Carrot cake bar?? OK...
Well, good luck slowing down.