Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Still Going Strong and Wondering

Well, another 6 miler for my midweek run. It has been very hot and humid these past few days. Luckily, I have avoided the high temperatures by running early in the mornings but not the humidity. Guess I should not complain since most of the mainland is starting to cool off.

I tried running while listening to music but found it distracting. Guess I like to focus on the run and let my mind wander. In fact, this morning I was wondering how normal working folks ever find the time to train for a marathon. Granted, they would not be on the road as long as I am. Still, it requires several hours a week. I can barely keep it up and I am retired. You have got to admire all those runners who squeeze training into their busy daily lives.

Here’s my long weekend running schedule leading up to marathon day:

Date.....Miles
Oct
10............10
17............15
24...........16
31............12
Nov
07............18
14............14
21............20
28...........12
Dec
05.............8
13.............Marathon

I also have some pretty long midweek runs to go along with it.

5 comments:

Dina said...

I guess you really have to be committed to this training and then you somehow find time. I'm amazed at the ways my son-in-law creates time to run and work out while working and raising two little boys.

Good onya, Art.
What kind of music did you try listening to?

Kay said...

Are you wondering how your mind wanders? Have a good run!

gigi-hawaii said...

Art, you should meet my friend, Dr. Jim Gallup. He used to be a pathologist at Honolulu Medical Group, which is located near Queen's Medical Center.

He would run to work -- from his home in Hawaii Kai -- every morning -- and back every evening!!!

He was skinny like you, typical runner's body.

Ran the Honolulu marathon every year too.

Peggy said...

I can't listen to my misic either if I want to concentrate.
Great job Art. I guess those that have a full time job ad training for a marathon, they just make time!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that you find the music distracting! You must be listening to the wrong music or something. What do you think about for two hours?! It must be a zen thing.