Saturday, October 17, 2009

Saved by TP

Did my 15.53 miles in 2:59.30. I should explain that this overall time includes an unscheduled pit stop. It was early in my run. There is nothing like looking for a bathroom in the dark at about 5:30 AM. Luckily I knew where to go, and it is a good thing I was carrying some TP. The remainder of the run went very well. I had a piece of Clif bar at my 1 hour distance and another at the 2 hour mark with no problems. I found, however, I really did not have an appetite to eat anything and had to force myself. I guess it is another thing I have to learn to do.

I noticed a lot more runners out this morning. There were several in groups of 6 or more which I am assuming are running clubs also preparing for the marathon. Bet there will be even more tomorrow, Sunday.

Well, I am off to a buffet luncheon at Makino Chaya to celebrate Kay’s mother’s 80th birthday. It will be a good chance to load up on some calories. At 100 calories per mile, I have about 1500 to consume.

5 comments:

Dina said...

Good for you Art!
Eat hearty at the party lunch.

I am off to Tiberias on Sunday (where it is in the high 90s) to dig for a week or two or three. I'm packing lots of TP. You never know how rough "field conditions" will be. :)
See y'all on Friday.

Kay said...

Frankly, I think you could have eaten a teeny bit more. After all, you hardly touched the ice cream crepe that we shared. I'll add extra chicken to your salad tonight.

Peggy said...

You're really doing so well Art. Can't believe that you're up to 15 plus miles...the time is really going by fast for me. (of course, I not the runner) I used to get up early in the morning to go swimming at our rec center in Dayton. I'm sure that I could'nt do it now! You are an inspiration. Having to replace 1500 calories, I could do!!!

gigi-hawaii said...

haha. I remember relieving myself behind a hedge in the front yard of a nice home in Kahala. Wonder what the owner thought when he saw TP in that corner!

Have you thought about what to do during the marathon? Will there be pit stops along the way that provide privacy??? Will there be porta-toilets?

Anonymous said...

Hey Art looks like your doing great. I had a couple of thoughts for you. You might try some Gu, PowerBar Gel, or Clif shots instead of the bars. Just as much energy but you just squirt them in your mouth and drink some water. I usually carry six of them and start using them every 2 miles after mile 10. Very easy on the tummy. Also it looks like your doing you 20miler 3 weeks before the marathon. You might want to do it a week earlier to give your legs plenty of time to recover. Even though there's only 6.2 miles after the 20 mile marker, they can be really tough on your body. Good luck. Ed