Thursday, October 29, 2009

Yellow Morning

Before running this morning I checked AIRNow to find out what the air quality was like outside; it was too dark see. Honolulu was listed as an “Yellow 75” which I thought was okay since it was only 25 points above “Green.”



AirNow is a federal, state and locally maintained website providing air quality forecasts as well as real-time conditions. I’m not too sure how accurate the system is though. The forecast for today was supposed to be "green” but the air sure looks bad this afternoon, and the current status is “Yellow 79.” I guess that’s a problem with running too early in the morning. You can’t see air quality.

I have been getting some good advice from Ed, my marathon mentor. He recently recommended trying energy gels that I can drink instead of the bars which must be chewed. I got several different flavors from a sports store and will try a couple Saturday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what causes the poor air quality in Hawaii? Honolulu? The traffic? If you can't go to Hawaii to breathe some fresh air, that is very sad.

Anonymous said...

Or the volcano?

Anonymous said...

It's the volcano -- vog.

Peggy said...

Kay was writing about the air quality too. Since I never lived by a volcano, I never thought about the air being bad during the eruptions. Jim and I watched the a history channel show that showed the lava falling in the ocean. Just amazing to watch.
Hope the energy gels work better for you!