Thursday, November 5, 2009

Mauka Showers But Clear Makai

It rained off and on yesterday so I gave myself an extra day off. This morning I was determined to get some mileage in. When I walked out a little after 5:00 AM and felt a few drops, I had to go back in and checked the horizon from our second floor. There were dark clouds mauka (up mountain direction) where the showers were coming from. However, it looked clear down towards the ocean side (makai). I usually run up and down the mountainside during weekdays to avoid the heavy traffic which I have to run pass to get down to the bike path along the coastline. Traffic is much lighter during the weekend.

Anyway, I braved the traffic and ran down to the coastline and ran into the naval housing area which has good street lights. Much safer while it’s still dark. Although the bike path is paved, it does not have lights in many sections making it difficult to run early in the morning. During my long weekend runs, I run pass the bike path down to the naval housing area first and by the time I return to the bike path the sun is just coming out making it easier and safer to do the path. But, this morning as I ran back to the bike path I felt rain drops. I ended up running around the housing area several time keeping an eye on the mountain for a break in the weather. It finally cleared so I made my way back up the hill to finish my 8.28 mile run.

The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend which will be great for my 19 miler.

3 comments:

dyanna said...

Your blog is really interesting.I'm waiting for your new post.

Anonymous said...

Don't want you to catch pneumonia in the rain. However, you should practice running in all kinds of weather. On marathon day, it will be humid and possibly raining. Be sure to wear something that will dry quickly after it rains on the course.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Kay,
Thanks for visiting my blog. Good luck with your running. I hope you have pretty, sunny, warm weather to run in this weekend.