Thursday, November 12, 2009

Physically and Mentally Prepared

I had 16 miles to do this week before my long Saturday outing. The plan was to do 5 on Monday, 6 on Wednesday and another 5 on Thursday. Well, we’ve been having a lot of rain lately so I took Marathon Mentor Ed’s advice and combined the mileage by running 11 miles on Monday and 5 more this morning. I’ll rest tomorrow and complete my long 20 + miler on Saturday. If it rains on Saturday, I’ll try Sunday.

It’s interesting to note this training has not only developed my distance stamina but also given me a mental boost and the confidence to complete the 26 + mile run. If you would have asked me a year ago to run a 10 miler, I would have bent my head, shook it and said “no way.” Now, I consider the 10 miler my middle running distance. I’m not running very fast though; but I’ve been able to keep my 11:30 to 12:00 minute mile pace. Will let you know how this weekend goes.

5 comments:

Dina said...

Oh...I get it...I think.
You feel now sort of like I did after doing weeks of difficult archaeology work and rooming in a hostel dorm, namely--invincible. After all your effort, all the challenges and hardships, you come home and feel that nothing can get you down, that everyday life is a comparative breeze.
Yes?

Margaret Cloud said...

I wish you a lot of luck on your run and also the training, which prepares you mentally and physically.

Anonymous said...

Yeah it is amazing how far you have come in such a short time.
20 miles - yikes!
The marathon should be a breeze for you.

Cheryl said...

I admire you for challenging yourself with your running. It must be very satisfying at the end of each run, a sense of accomplishment. Good luck to you.

Kay said...

Sheesh! And then you drop the door on your shin! Good grief!