Sunday, November 8, 2009

Out of Memory and a Reality Check

When I started out this morning, the air was cool, streets were wet and there were occasional refreshing passing light drizzles. I had the feeling it was going to be a great run. But, about the 9 mile mark Garmin beeped indicating the memory was full and stopped recording my run. I should have checked its memory before starting. There is nothing like running and trying to remember how to free up more memory. I kept running and pressing buttons without success. Finally, I slowed down and walked to fully concentrate. I remember, I had to get to the “History” screen and select “Delete.” Of course, instead of selecting “Old Activities” I just hit the “All Activities” which promptly wiped the memory clean including my morning run thus far. So I just started a new running record. After finishing my longest running route to date and what I thought was a 19 miler, I discovered that it was only 17 miles. To be sure, I checked the route using Google’s Pedometer and, to my surprise, it was just a little over 17 miles. If this sounds confusing, it certainly was to me. Where did my 2 miles go?

Since I hate taking the blame for this one, it was Garmin who screwed up. Oh well, I’ll have to recalibrate it to more accurately record the correct distance. As my son reminded me, I should have gotten the Garmin that used GPS technology instead of the cheaper foot pad one that’s like a high tech pedometer. Granted, I had noticed earlier when I ran slower with shorter strides Garmin displayed a few yards off per mile. Didn’t think it would add up to that much.


For the outing I tried a 2 x caffeine Expresso Love and a no caffeine Strawberry Banana Gu gel. Had no problem with my tummy. The coffee flavored one was much tastier. I’m sure the added caffeine must have given me a boost; I couldn’t tell when.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha! caffeine = PED (performance enhancing drug)???

Peggy said...

Art;

You are such a trooper. I think that I would have gone back home and gone back to bed!

Dina said...

Eeuw, drinking gel?

Cheryl said...

I agree with Peggy!