Saturday, September 12, 2009

Another Long Day

Up at 4:30 AM with the help of an alarm clock. I was a block away before I realized I’d forgotten my water bottle at home. Back up the hill to get it. It was nice to run not having to think about where to stop to take photos. Ran close to my half marathon distance, 13.53 miles in 2:21:38. I noticed that I was at the 12 mile mark in about 2 hours. Then it was the last mile and a half up Waimano Home Road. It’s difficult because it’s all uphill and at the very end. At times my pace felt like I was almost walking.

I’m adjusting better to slowing down to a walk to drink a little water at a time. I noticed taking in too much water at once doesn’t sit well in my stomach. I’m trying to drink every 30 minutes or so. It’s not too bad earlier in the run when temperatures are cooler. However after the sun rises and starts heating things up, keeping hydrated is a must.

I’ve read that I’ll need to take in some carbs (glycogen) after the half way point of the marathon to prevent “hitting the wall.” It should be something that’s easy to digest such as fruits or energy gels and bars. I may try taking small pieces of an energy bar with me during my next long run just to see how my system reacts. Got to remember to drink right after eating. During the actual race they suggest eating something just before reaching an aid-station so you can wash it down with a drink.

Tomorrow’s a rest day followed by a short run on Monday.

4 comments:

Tif said...

Congrats on the long run. Are you going to do any 1/2 marathons before the big day? Too bad you're not out here...tomorrow is the big one in Chicago.

Kay said...

Make sure you drink that water, Art!

gigi-hawaii said...

Art, please read this link about the Marathon Clinic:

http://honolulumarathonclinic.org/sunday-clinics/

It meets every Sunday at 7:30 am at Kapiolani Park. There are 3 levels -- beginners (sedentary), intermediate (running but need to transition to marathon), and advanced.

How long is a marathon? 26.2 miles according to Google.

Dina said...

Energy gel?? That sounds gooey.