Thursday, September 3, 2009

"Day of Rest" Posted by Art

Today’s a rest day. I’m alternating a run with a rest day. Definitely not like the ultra-marathoner features in today’s Honolulu Advertiser’s Island Life section. Dean Karnazes completed 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days. No, that’s definitely not on my bucket list. Finishing one marathon is the only thing in my sight. As the literature suggest, the goal of one’s first marathon should be to finish it, running for times can come later.

Barring any injuries which is critical for this recreational jogger, I’m planning to gradually increase my longer weekend runs by one mile increments. I did about 11 mile last weekend. Not too sure of that distance since I hadn’t figured out how to activate the Garmin foot pad or calibrate it. I’ll use it this weekend. For longer distances, I’m running from Momilani down to the biking/walking/running path that runs from Pearl Harbor to Waipahu. The shoreline path going east from Pearl City has mile markers as it passes the HECO (Hawaiian Electric Company) power plant, Neal Blasidell Park, and Pearl Ridge Shopping Center. The path going west to Waipahu is unmarked and less used. I’m amazed to see so many folks fishing early in the morning.

4 comments:

gigi-hawaii said...

I think Kay needs to adjust the time for this blog. It is a few hours ahead of Hawaii time.

Kay said...

Thanks, Glenda! I'll get this right yet. Thanks especially for "watching my back."

Kavita Saharia said...

ok...i am here ..11 miles,that's impressive..i wish you all the luck .

Dina said...

Well, that Dean guy is crazy, or just a masochist.
Watch out for those shin splints that I hear my running son-in-law moan about.
Hey Art, don't those fishermen look so sedentary to you now?