Monday, September 14, 2009

Not All Soba Are Created Equal

Another short run this morning, 4.15 miles in 44:25:56. My next goal is to figure out how fast I’m running, i.e., what's a 9, 10 and 11 minute per mile pace. I’ve got Garmin set to display my running pace in minutes per mile. I’ll just have to make mental notes of each pace and commit them to memory. Will try this on my next outing on Wednesday.

Now, about my noodle lunches.



Bought a couple of JFC International soba packages (on the right) yesterday on sale at the Don Quixote market. I had been eating the Nishimoto Trading Company’s Shirakiku Brand (on the left). The packaging looked similar to what I’d been eating so I “assumed” it was the same.



When I got home I was surprised to discover the sodium content on the package was extremely high. The Shirakiku brand (left) I’d been eating lists a larger serving size, 100 grams with only 65 mg of sodium. A serving of my new purchase (right) is 60 grams but has a whopping 1,020 mg of sodium. Oh, boy! I’d better look for my receipt to return it.

2 comments:

gigi-hawaii said...

Cardiologist Dr. Jack Scaff, who speaks at the Marathon Clinic before the run, told us that the Big Mac is the perfect food. He said it was sent to a lab, where nutritionists found that it contained protein, carbs, veggies, and fat all full of vitamins, minerals, and fiber -- the perfect food.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a big difference. I wonder if it tastes very different. Are you maintaining your weight with all of the running?